Make IWD your day. Every day.
So I'm sat here wondering what the hell I can post on social media about International Womens Day. Every year it creeps up on me and I tend to just do a google search, download a photo (don't shout at me about copyright and crediting... I know I know....) and throw something online as a nod to the day.
Last year I vowed this year would be different... I have had a reminder pop up in my calendar every day for the past week reminding me thats its happening because last years me vowed to be better at business, which means preparing my content in advance instead of my usual panic posting.
But...snooze... snooze... snooze... Just like I do every morning with my alarm. I'll get up in a minute... I'll do that later.
And now its here and I am thinking about doing a google search again and just saying 'Yay... Happy International Womens Day".
That will get me likes right?
Thats what its all about at the end of the day. This whole social media 'hamster wheel' that were all riding... The likes. I mean why else would I put a post online?
As a business everything I upload to social media is for the purpose of showing potential clients I am awesome so they book me to be their wedding photographer or go shoot their baby as soon as it fires out of the foof (or sunroof, both ways are awesome). And I guess this is what this blog is too. To shout to the world that I am awesome. But not for your sake. Not for the sake of anyone who might book me and contribute to my mortgage payment this month.
Bur for mine. For ME.
Because you know what... us women do not celebrate OURSELVES enough. Today you might be thinking 'Yay I'm a woman' 'Yay women are great' 'Yay look at all these boss women from history' Thats all good and well, celebrating others achievement and we should continue to as we are all in this together, but what is it about being a woman that you love? What is it about being YOU do you love?
I did something similar recently as part of my youngest son's homework. The task was to look in the mirror and say 5 things you like about yourself. We both took in turns to say one thing each. It was awkward trying to think of just 5 things and I just ended up saying stuff like 'I like my eyes because they're a lovely shade of blue' so that it was his turn again and I was one step closer to the task being over.
Freddie said he liked the fact he was a good friend as he always tells a teacher when his best mate is being bullied. Freddie clearly has self love down better than me.
So I'm trying again...
I LOVE BEING ME BECAUSE...
- I am a Mother. I love the fact thats its my job to nurture other humans that I created (with a little bit of help from their dads!) I take this job VERY seriously. Every day I try and teach them to be tolerant and love unconditionally because thats what being a mother has taught me. I want them to pass these skills down to their children when they become fathers. My parenting motto is lead by example.
- I'm magic. I think only women will know what I am talking about when I say I know... I always know and even when I don't know I still know.
- I am a warrior. You lot see my fun happy side. I'm not partial to airing all of my dirty laundry online but I have it. Mountains of the stuff. Offline life is pretty hard. My eldest son is Autistic and for the past 5 years his life has been an uphill struggle which means all of our lives have been a struggle. I've been lower than you could imagine and often just wanted to run away and get lost in a forest somewhere because the responsibility is far too over whelming. But every day I show up. I fight and look for the silver lining. I am a warrior and I will make sure my son has the best life that he can. I love that about myself. The fact I will never give up.
- I am a sister. I don't actually have any real life biological ones (lonely only child. SOB) BUT I class my friends as my sisters... As women we all have similarities and have pretty much shared the same experiences at some point in our lives. I get great comfort from being a supportive friend. I love the fact that I can empower and build other women up.
- I'm successful. We all measure success in different ways and for me its happiness... Thats how I measure success. If something doesn't make me happy I change it. If something makes me happy I do more of it.
Self love : Completed it mate!
So now each year as International Womens Day creeps up on me I can rest in the knowledge I have a badass post to post on social media! One thats going to remind me... yes ME... of just how awesome it is to me a woman. To be me.
What is International Womens Day all about?
International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
International Women's Day (IWD) has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland. Prior to this the Socialist Party of America, United Kingdom's Suffragists and Suffragettes, and further groups campaigned for women's equality.
Today, IWD belongs to all groups collectively everywhere.
IWD is not country, group or organization specific.
Make IWD your day - everyday.